This is a reading list I am putting together for an anarchist discussion of the “hipster” phenomenon.
- Why Hipsters Aren’t All That Hip, Forrest Perry, Monthly Review, 2006
- On the Poverty of Hip Life, Raoul Vaneigem, Situationist International, 1972
- Fiorucci Made Them Hipster, Lettrist, Utopia or Bust, 2009.
- Why Hipsters Suck, Kerry Da Silva, Hybrid Magazine, 2008
- Hip Hop Legend KRS-One Seizes New Ways for Rap to Work With Major Brands, Digital Journal, 2008
- Infecting Nike, Initiating Obama: An Interview with Saul Williams, Morphizm, 2008
- The New CounterCulture’s Buying Power. Lauren Sherman, Forbes, 2008
- Getting to the Hipsters, Jon Fine, Business Week, 2005.
- A Critique of Adbusters’ Attack on Hipsters, Nick Kreitman, Is Greater Than, 2008
- The Conquest of Cool, Thomas Frank, reviewed by David Cochran in Economic History, 1998.
- Memoirs of Drop City: The First Hippie Commune of the 1960s and the Summer of Love. John Curl, Chapter 25: Counterculture, 2008
Let me know if you have any other suggestions!