“Obama sets new standard for managing the news“. – McClatchy Newspaper.
In the past week, Obama has done the following.
- Spoke with Iranians through video conferencing.
- Spoke to viewers of a Latin American music awards ceremony through video conferencing.
- Appeared on Jay Leno’s “Tonight Show”.
- Appeared on “60 Minutes”.
- Wrote an opinion column that appeared in newspapers around the world.
- Held a prime-time news conference aired on television.
- Held an online town hall meeting.
A former Google manager is Obama’s new director of “citizen participation”. Obama has directors of new media, directors of online programs, broadcast media, regional media, African-American media, Hispanic media, research, and “message events”. All of this has created – in the words of McClatchy – a “symbiotic government-media relationship”.