At the 2008 Democratic and Republican National Conventions I wrote press releases, created videos, and of course, posted stuff here. I traveled to both conventions with the PepperSpray film collective based in Seattle. We worked closely (until we were jailed) with the producer of subMedia.tv to create a 10-15 minute show each day about resistance to mainstream agendas which was aired on Free Speech TV (all of which are posted below). Our primary goal was to present leftism in general as a viable option in the face of spectacular coverage of the Republicans and Democrats by the mainstream media. Afterward we created a short documentary about the conventions called Ground Noise and Static. (We didn’t have the time to perfect it; and it’s certainly lacking in some areas.)
Our friends from the Glass Bead Collective from NYC stayed in St. Paul during the Republican National Convention for almost three months and created a very compelling documentary called Terrorizing Dissent. A lot of the action footage in Terrorizing Dissent from the first day was filmed by Yours Truly up until I was thrown in jail for two days (with pepper spray still on my face when I got out and a fat bruise on my leg). I was booked for “felony rioting”, and another journalist from PepperSpray was arrested and jailed for “throwing feces” at officers (which never happened, it’s police/media propaganda). Eight of the RNC protest organizers are, to this day, being charged with “conspiracy to riot in the furtherance of terrorism”.
They need us we don’t need them!
- “We Need to Get a Democrat in the White House”, about false hope.
- B. Obama’s Fateful Triangle, about Palestine and Obama’s foreign policy.
- All That Disruption, about social unrest everywhere in the world.
- What Went Wrong in ’68?, can we learn lessons from the 1968 DNC in Chicago?
- Anarchists Offer to Call of All DNC Protest Plans, about strategy.
- The corporations are in total control of your lives!, video about RATM, raids on activists, and Jeremy Scahill.
- Feels Like an “Anti-War” Victory, about the “successful” IVAW march.
- DNC Police Brutality, because they can do whatever they want.
- These Motherfuckers!, pigs reveal their real intentions.
- Turn off the radio, turn off that bullshit, Dead Prez, prisons for protesters, and radical speakers on Day 1.
- Ward Churchill and FOX News, FOX’s obsession with Ward Churchill, and other radical people.
- Welcome to Denver, or, how to radicalize a sleeping city.
- Protester Beaten and Gagged Like Guantanamo Inmate, in the Ramsey County Jail.
- Police News Management, what really happened here.
- Rage Against the Republicans, police policy towards Rage Against the Machine.
- Dispatch #3, police fucking with our journalism again.
- Police Raid and Detainment of I-Witness Journalists, journalists as prime targets by the FBI and the police department.
- Dispatch #2, anarchists take over the streets of St. Paul!
- Preemption as a Tactic, and Hurricane Gustav, will the first day of the convention happen?
- Dispatch #0 – Emergency RNC update, police raid activist homes and stop us from protesting.
POST DNC/RNC entries, articles and videos
- Professionals Say We’re Propagandists, professional journalists condemn our reporting and pose with the cops as their friends.
- Journalism is not a Crime, they say, but it IS a crime obviously!
- “We Must Win the War on Terror”, because activists are terrorists, you know.
- The Right to Assemble, ACLU and Convention “Federalization”, how and why conventions became the focus of political outrage.
- Once Behind Bars, Now Behind the Lens, With His Freedom at Risk, about a photo-journalist I met in jail.
- What Freedom of the Press?, wake up! there is no freedom of the press.